What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Wal-Som to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- No Known Fetal/Neonatal Risk:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: LOW MOLEC WT. POSSIBLE EXCRETION; NOT RECOM; MAY CAUSE PARADOXICAL EXCITATION
If you are an adult over 60
- Management or Monitoring Precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating antihistamine preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
Giving Wal-Som to a child under 12
- Contraindication: Avoid use age < 12 years as a sleep aid. Risk of paradoxical CNS stimulation.
- Contraindication: CNS excitation and convulsion risk in newborns.
- Contraindication: CNS depression and paradoxical excitation. Avoid use with age <2 years.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.