Vonoprazan-Clarithromycin/Slt Protease Inhibitors;Cobicistat Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Your protease inhibitor may slow down how your body processes your antibiotic.
What might happen:
The levels of the antibiotic in your blood may increase. If you have kidney problems, the increased levels may cause toxicities.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together and if you have any kidney problems. Your doctor may want to test your blood to check your kidneys. Your doctor may want to change the dose of your antibiotic.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Voquezna (vonoprazan-amoxicillin and vonoprazan-amoxicillin-clarithromycin) US prescribing information. Phathom Pharmaceuticals, Inc. May, 2022.
- 2.Biaxin (clarithromycin) US prescribing information. AbbVie, Inc. September, 2019.
- 3.Norvir (ritonavir) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories December, 2019.
- 4.Aptivus (tipranavir) US prescribing information. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. June, 2020.
- 5.Prezista (darunavir) US prescribing information. Janssen Therapeutics April, 2022.
- 6.Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir tablets) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories December, 2019.
- 7.Stribild (elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, tenofovir) US prescribing information. Gilead Sciences, Inc. September, 2021.
- 8.Tybost (cobicistat) US prescribing information. Gilead Sciences, Inc. September, 2021.
- 9.Incivek (telaprevir) US prescribing information. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated October, 2013.
- 10.Victrelis (boceprevir) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation January, 2017.
- 11.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 12.la Porte CJ, Sabo JP, Elgadi M, Cameron DW. Interaction studies of tipranavir-ritonavir with clarithromycin, fluconazole, and rifabutin in healthy volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009 Jan;53(1):162-73.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.