Digoxin, Oral/Macrolide Antibiotics Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Macrolides may increase the effects of digoxin.
What might happen:
The effects of your digoxin may increase and cause a slow or irregular heartbeat.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. The dose of your medicine may need adjusting. Let your doctor know if you have any nausea, vomiting, headaches, fatigue, drowsiness, weakness, disorientation, hallucinations, changes in vision, or a slow/irregular heartbeat.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Gomes T, Mamdani MM, Juurlink DN. Macrolide-induced digoxin toxicity: a population-based study. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2009 Oct;86(4):383-6.
- 2.Chan AL, Wang MT, Su CY, Tsai FH. Risk of digoxin intoxication caused by clarithromycin-digoxin interactions in heart failure patients: a population-based study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2009 Dec;65(12):1237-43.
- 3.Rengelshausen J, Goggelmann C, Burhenne J, Riedel KD, Ludwig J, Weiss J, Mikus G, Walter-Sack I, Haefeli WE. Contribution of increased oral bioavailability and reduced nonglomerular renal clearance of digoxin to the digoxin-clarithromycin interaction. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003 Jul; 56(1):32-8.
- 4.Tanaka H, Matsumoto K, Ueno K, Kodama M, Yoneda K, Katayama Y, Miyatake K. Effect of clarithromycin on steady-state digoxin concentrations. Ann Pharmacother 2003 Feb;37(2):178-81.
- 5.Zapater P, Reus S, Tello A, Torrus D, Perez-Mateo M, Horga JF. A prospective study of the clarithromycin-digoxin interaction in elderly patients. J Antimicrob Chemother 2002 Oct;50(4):601-6.
- 6.Tsutsumi K, Kotegawa T, Kuranari M, Otani Y, Morimoto T, Matsuki S, Nakano S. The effect of erythromycin and clarithromycin on the pharmacokinetics of intravenous digoxin in healthy volunteers. J Clin Pharmacol 2002 Oct; 42(10):1159-64.
- 7.Lindenbaum J, Rund DG, Butler VP Jr, Tse-Eng D, Saha JR. Inactivation of digoxin by the gut flora: reversal by antibiotic therapy. N Engl J Med 1981 Oct 1;305(14):789-94.
- 8.Ketek (telithromycin) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC November, 2015.
- 9.Thalhammer F, Hollenstein UM, Locker GJ, Janata K, Sunder-Plassmann G, Frass M, Burgmann H. Azithromycin-related toxic effects of digitoxin. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1998 Jan;45(1):91-2.
- 10.Hirata S, Izumi S, Furukubo T, Ota M, Fujita M, Yamakawa T, Hasegawa I, Ohtani H, Sawada Y. Interactions between clarithromycin and digoxin in patients with end-stage renal disease. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2005 Jan;43(1):30-6.
- 11.Vergara-Lopez S, Garcia-Garcia JA, Merchante N, Mira JA. Digoxin toxicity secondary to inhibition of digoxin intestinal metabolism in a patient receiving clarithromycin. Med Clin (Barc) 2004 Nov 6;123(16):639.
- 12.Kiran N, Azam S, Dhakam S. Clarithromycin induced digoxin toxicity: case report and review. J Pak Med Assoc 2004 Aug;54(8):440-1.
- 13.Xu H, Rashkow A. Clarithromycin-induced digoxin toxicity: a case report and a review of the literature. Conn Med 2001 Sep;65(9):527-9.
- 14.Gooderham MJ, Bolli P, Fernandez PG. Concomitant digoxin toxicity and warfarin interaction in a patient receiving clarithromycin. Ann Pharmacother 1999 Jul-Aug;33(7-8):796-9.
- 15.Wakasugi H, Yano I, Ito T, Hashida T, Futami T, Nohara R, Sasayama S, Inui K. Effect of clarithromycin on renal excretion of digoxin: interaction with P-glycoprotein. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998 Jul; 64(1):123-8.
- 16.Nordt SP, Williams SR, Manoguerra AS, Clark RF. Clarithromycin induced digoxin toxicity. J Accid Emerg Med 1998 May;15(3):194-5.
- 17.Trivedi S, Hyman J, Lichstein E. Clarithromycin and digoxin toxicity. Ann Intern Med 1998 Apr 1;128(7):604.
- 18.Guerriero SE, Ehrenpreis E, Gallagher KL. Two cases of clarithromycin-induced digoxin toxicity. Pharmacotherapy 1997 Sep-Oct; 17(5):1035-7.
- 19.Laberge P, Martineau P. Clarithromycin-induced digoxin intoxication. Ann Pharmacother 1997 Sep;31(9):999-1002.
- 20.Nawarskas JJ, McCarthy DM, Spinler SA. Digoxin toxicity secondary to clarithromycin therapy. Ann Pharmacother 1997 Jul-Aug;31(7-8):864-6.
- 21.Guillemet C, Alt M, Arpin-Bott MP, Imler M. Clarithromycin-digoxin: an unrecognized interaction in some patients. Presse Med 1997 Apr 5; 26(11):512.
- 22.Brown BA, Wallace RJ Jr, Griffith DE, Warden R. Clarithromycin-associated digoxin toxicity in the elderly. Clin Infect Dis 1997 Jan;24(1):92-3.
- 23.Midoneck SR, Etingin OR. Clarithromycin-related toxic effects of digoxin. N Engl J Med 1995 Nov 30;333(22):1505.
- 24.Ford A, Smith LC, Baltch AL, Smith RP. Clarithromycin-induced digoxin toxicity in a patient with AIDS. Clin Infect Dis 1995 Oct;21(4):1051-2.
- 25.Bonilla Porras M, Lucena Campillo MA, Delgado Silveira E, Ramallal Jimenez Del Llano MC, Garcia Diaz B. Digitalis intoxication secondary to treatment with clarithromycin. Farm Hosp 2005 May-Jun;29(3):209-13.
- 26.Maxwell DL, Gilmour-White SK, Hall MR. Digoxin toxicity due to interaction of digoxin with erythromycin. BMJ 1989 Mar 4;298(6673):572.
- 27.Zitelli BJ, Howrie DL, Altman H, Maroon TJ. Erythromycin-induced drug interactions. An illustrative case and review of the literature. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1987 Mar;26(3):117-9.
- 28.Norregaard-Hansen K, Klitgaard NA, Pedersen KE. The significance of the enterohepatic circulation on the metabolism of digoxin in patients with the ability of intestinal conversion of the drug. Acta Med Scand 1986; 220(1):89-92.
- 29.Friedman HS, Bonventre MV. Erythromycin-induced digoxin toxicity. Chest 1982 Aug;82(2):202.
- 30.Morton MR, Cooper JW. Erythromycin-induced digoxin toxicity. DICP 1989 Sep;23(9):668-70.
- 31.Cambonie G, Sabatier E, Guillaumont S, Masson F, Charbit J, Pidoux O, Hillaire-Buys D, Picaud JC. Digoxin-Josamycin: a dangerous drug interaction in children. Arch Pediatr 2006 Aug;13(8):1118-20.
- 32.Corallo CE, Rogers IR. Roxithromycin-induced digoxin toxicity. Med J Aust 1996 Oct 21;165(8):433-4.
- 33.Nenciu LM, Laberge P, Thirion DJ. Telithromycin-induced digoxin toxicity and electrocardiographic changes. Pharmacotherapy 2006 Jun;26(6):872-6.
- 34.Lanoxin (digoxin) Tablets US prescribing information. Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. August, 2018.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.