Cisapride/Selected Strong and Moderate CYP3A4 Inhibitors Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Very Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Some medications may slow down how quickly your liver processes cisapride.
What might happen:
The amount of cisapride in your body may increase, which may affect your heart rhythm and increase your risk of an irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g doctor or pharmacist) know right away that you are taking these medications together. Let your doctor know right away if you notice an irregular heartbeat or have dizziness or fainting episodesYour healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Health Canada. Domperidone Maleate - Association with Serious Abnormal Heart Rhythms and Sudden Death (Cardiac Arrest). available at: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2015/43423a-e ng.php January 20, 2015.
- 2.Prepulsid (cisapride) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceutica Products, L.P. January, 2000.
- 3.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 4.Sporanox (itraconazole) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceutica Products, L.P. December, 2022.
- 5.This information is based on an extract from the Certara Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright Certara 1999-2023..
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.