Tricyclic; Tetracyclic Agents; Carbamazepine/Linezolid Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Both of these medicines can increase the level of serotonin in your body.
What might happen:
High serotonin levels may cause changes in body temperature, blood pressure and behavior, leading to a medical condition called Serotonin Syndrome. Serotonin Syndrome may be life threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.If you experience muscle twitching, tremors, shivering or stiffness, fever, heavy sweating, heart palpitations, restlessness, confusion, agitation, trouble with coordination, or severe diarrhea contact your doctor right away.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Zyvox (linezolid) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. November, 2021.
- 2.Blier P, de Montigny C, Chaput Y. A role for the serotonin system in the mechanism of action of antidepressant treatments: preclinical evidence. J Clin Psychiatry 1990 Apr;51 Suppl:14-20; discussion 21.
- 3.Tegretol (carbamazepine) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation March, 2018.
- 4.Amrix (cyclobenzaprine extended release) US prescribing information. Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. May, 2016.
- 5.Remeron (mirtazapine) US prescribing information. Organon Inc. November, 2021.
- 6.Boyer EW, Shannon M. The serotonin syndrome. N Engl J Med 2005 Mar 17; 352(11):1112-20.
- 7.Anafranil (clompiramine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Mallinckrodt Inc. May 10, 2019.
- 8.Pamelor (nortriptyline hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Mallinckrodt Inc. October, 2012.
- 9.Norpramin (desipramine) US prescribing information. US Pharm Holdings November, 2018.
- 10.Amitriptyline hydrochloride, US prescribing information. Sandoz Inc. January, 2010.
- 11.Trofanil (imipramine) US prescribing information. Novartis September, 1998.
- 12.Surmontil (trimipramine) US prescribing information. Odyssey Pharms July, 2014.
- 13.USFood and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Serious CNS reactions possible when linezolid (Zyvox) is given to patients taking certain psychiatric medications. available at: http://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170722185915/https://www.fda.gov/Dru gs/DrugSafety/ucm265305.htm July 26, 2011.
- 14.USFood and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Updated information about the drug interaction between linezolid (Zyvox) and serotonergic psychiatric medications. available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm276251.htm October 21, 2011.
- 15.Lodise TP, Patel N, Rivera A, Tristani L, Lazariu V, Vandewall H, McNutt LA. Comparative evaluation of serotonin toxicity among veterans affairs patients receiving linezolid and vancomycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2013 Dec;57(12):5901-11.
- 16.Ramsey TD, Lau TT, Ensom MH. Serotonergic and adrenergic drug interactions associated with linezolid: a critical review and practical management approach. Ann Pharmacother 2013 Apr;47(4):543-60.
- 17.Woytowish MR, Maynor LM. Clinical relevance of linezolid-associated serotonin toxicity. Ann Pharmacother 2013 Mar;47(3):388-97.
- 18.Butterfield JM, Lawrence KR, Reisman A, Huang DB, Thompson CA, Lodise TP. Comparison of serotonin toxicity with concomitant use of either linezolid or comparators and serotonergic agents: an analysis of Phase III and IV randomized clinical trial data. J Antimicrob Chemother 2012 Feb; 67(2):494-502.
- 19.Quinn DK, Stern TA. Linezolid and serotonin syndrome. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 2009;11(6):353-6.
- 20.Taylor JJ, Wilson JW, Estes LL. Linezolid and serotonergic drug interactions: a retrospective survey. Clin Infect Dis 2006 Jul 15; 43(2):180-7.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.