Bezafibrate; Fenofibrate/Rosiglitazone Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
How this interaction occurs is unknown.
What might happen:
In some patients, taking these medicines together may cause the amount of HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) to decrease. This can increase your risk of heart disease.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to check your HDL level more often while you are taking these medicines together.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Tremblay P. Rosiglitazone-fenofibrate interaction: severe paradoxical decreased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. Canadian Adverse Reaction Newsletter 2011 Apr;21(2):2-3.
- 2.Shetty C, Balasubramani M, Capps N, Milles J, Ramachandran S. Paradoxical HDL-C reduction during rosiglitazone and fibrate treatment. Diabet Med 2007 Jan;24(1):94-7.
- 3.Keidar S, Guttmann H, Stam T, Fishman I, Shapira C. High incidence of reduced plasma HDL cholesterol in diabetic patients treated with rosiglitazone and fibrate. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007 Nov; 16(11):1192-4.
- 4.Magee G, Sharpe PC. Paradoxical decreases in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol with fenofibrate: a quite common phenomenon. J Clin Pathol 2009 Mar;62(3):250-3.
- 5.Mymin D, Dembinski T, Friesen MH. Iatrogenic severe depression of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. J Clin Pharmacol 2009 Jul; 49(7):865-71.
- 6.Gutschi LM, Malcolm JC, Favreau CM, Ooi TC. Paradoxically decreased HDL-cholesterol levels associated with rosiglitazone therapy. Ann Pharmacother 2006 Sep;40(9):1672-6.
- 7.Goldberg RB, Mendez AJ. Severe acquired (secondary) high-density lipoprotein deficiency. J Clin Lipidol 2007 Mar;1(1):41-56.
- 8.Im M, Kim M, Lee JK, Chang YH, Lee DY, Hong SI, Lee YY, Hong YJ. HDL cholesterol reduction during rosiglitazone and fenofibrate treatment in a type 2 diabetes mellitus patient with dyslipidemia. Korean J Lab Med 2010 Feb;30(1):17-9.
- 9.Schwing W, Hustak L, Taylor HC. Paradoxical severe decrease in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol due to rosiglitazone-fenofibrate interaction. Endocr Pract 2010 May-Jun;16(3):382-8.
- 10.Venero CV, Thompson PD, Fernandez AB. Reduced high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients receiving rosiglitazone and fenofibrate. Am J Med 2008 Oct;121(10):e3-4.
- 11.Normen L, Frohlich J, Montaner J, Harris M, Elliott T, Bondy G. Combination therapy with fenofibrate and rosiglitazone paradoxically lowers serum HDL cholesterol. Diabetes Care 2004 Sep;27(9):2241-2.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.