What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Lexapro to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Requires a Risk/Benefit Assessment:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: SOMNOLENCE, DECREASED FEEDING, WEIGHT LOSS REPORTED WITH RACEMIC CITALOPRAM
If you are an adult over 60
- Management or Monitoring Precaution: Hepatic-Decreased drug clearance by 50% in the elderly. Start at lower doses and titrate upward more slowly to a maximum recommended dose of 10mg/day. Endocrine-May exacerbate or cause SIADH or hyponatremia. Monitor sodium level closely when starting or changing dosages in older adults.
Giving Lexapro to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Possible increased suicidal ideation and attempt, decreased appetite and weight loss. No safety and efficacy age < 12 years.
- Severe Precaution: Possible increased suicidal ideation and attempt. Monitor behavior, weight and growth rate.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.