What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Chlorpheniramine Maleate CR Capsule, Extended Release to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Requires a Risk/Benefit Assessment:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MAY CAUSE SEDATION AND INHIBIT LACTATION
If you are an adult over 60
- Management or Monitoring Precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating antihistamine preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
Giving Chlorpheniramine Maleate CR Capsule, Extended Release to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Risk of CNS depression and paradoxical excitation. Consult healthcare provider for age< 6 years.
- Severe Precaution: Not recommended in children under 12 years unless clinician consultation.
- Contraindication: Possible paradoxical CNS excitation. Seizure risk in newborns.
- Contraindication: Risk of serious and life-threatening adverse effects of CNS depression or excitation. Not recommended age <2 years. Avoid using with underlying asthma.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.