What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Doxepin 6 Mg Tablet Hypnotics to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Requires a Risk/Benefit Assessment:
If you are NURSING
- Absolute Contraindication: SERIOUS ADVERSE EFFECTS IN 2 CASES: RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION,FEEDING DIFFICULTY
If you are an adult over 60
- Contraindication: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Even topical preparations have led to anticholinergic toxicity in the elderly. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension at higher doses. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause. Endocrine-Increased risk for hyponatremia due to SIADH.
- Management or Monitoring Precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and inc fall risk. Risk is lower w/doses <7 mg. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension. Risk is lower w/doses <7 mg. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-May worsen urinary retention. Endocrine-Inc risk for hyponatremia due to SIADH.
Giving Doxepin 6 Mg Tablet Hypnotics to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Possible increased suicidal ideation & attempt in pediatrics with major depression. Not recommended for use in pediatrics age < 12 years.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.