Atorvastatin; Lovastatin; Simvastatin/Palbociclib Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may not process your cholesterol medicine properly.
What might happen:
The blood levels of your cholesterol medicine may increase and cause toxic effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know right away that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may instruct you to stop taking your cholesterol medicine or adjust the dose of your cholesterol medicine.Tell your doctor right away if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness; unexplained tiredness; or discolored urine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Ibrance (palbociclib) US prescribing information. Pfizer Labs September, 2023.
- 2.This information is based on an extract from the Certara Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright Certara 1999-2023..
- 3.Hoffman Justin T, Plotka Anna, OGorman Melissa, Loi Cho-Ming, Kirkovsky Leonid, Gallo-Stampino Corrado, Wang Diane. Abstract CT419: A phase 1 randomized, open-label, 2-sequence, 2-period crossover study of the effect of multiple doses of palbociclib (PD-0332991) on midazolam pharmacokinetics in healthy women of non-childbearing potential. Cancer Res 2014/10/01;74(19 Supplement):CT419.
- 4.Nelson KL, Stenehjem D, Driscoll M, Gilcrease GW. Fatal Statin-Induced Rhabdomyolysis by Possible Interaction with Palbociclib. Front Oncol 2017; 7:150.
- 5.Gopalan PK, Villegas AG, Cao C, Pinder-Schenck M, Chiappori A, Hou W, Zajac-Kaye M, Ivey AM, Kaye FJ. CDK4/6 inhibition stabilizes disease in patients with p16-null non-small cell lung cancer and is synergistic with mTOR inhibition. Oncotarget 2018 Dec 21;9(100):37352-37366.
- 6.Li S, Yu Y, Jin Z, Dai Y, Lin H, Jiao Z, Ma G, Cai W, Han B, Xiang X. Prediction of pharmacokinetic drug-drug interactions causing atorvastatin-induced rhabdomyolysis using physiologically based pharmacokinetic modelling. Biomed Pharmacother 2019 Sep 10;119:109416.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.