BCRP or OATP1B1 Substrates/Eltrombopag Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Eltrombopag may increase the amount of your other medicine that your body absorbs, and/or decrease the amount of your other medicine that your body eliminates.
What might happen:
The amount of your medicine in your blood may increase and may cause harmful effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change your medicines or adjust their doses.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Promacta (eltrombopag) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline February, 2021.
- 2.Takeuchi K, Sugiura T, Matsubara K, Sato R, Shimizu T, Masuo Y, Horikawa M, Nakamichi N, Ishiwata N, Kato Y. Interaction of novel platelet-increasing agent eltrombopag with rosuvastatin via breast cancer resistance protein in humans. Drug Metab Dispos 2014 Apr;42(4):726-34.
- 3.Elsby R, Martin P, Surry D, Sharma P, Fenner K. Solitary Inhibition of the Breast Cancer Resistance Protein Efflux Transporter Results in a Clinically Significant Drug-Drug Interaction with Rosuvastatin by Causing up to a 2-Fold Increase in Statin Exposure. Drug Metab Dispos 2016 Mar; 44(3):398-408.
- 4.Allred AJ, Bowen CJ, Park JW, Peng B, Williams DD, Wire MB, Lee E. Eltrombopag increases plasma rosuvastatin exposure in healthy volunteers. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2011 Aug;72(2):321-9.
- 5.Carter SJ, Chouhan B, Sharma P, Chappell MJ. Prediction of Clinical Transporter-Mediated Drug-Drug Interactions via Comeasurement of Pitavastatin and Eltrombopag in Human Hepatocyte Models. CPT Pharmacometrics Syst Pharmacol 2020 Apr;9(4):211-221.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.